wesleylau

wesleylau

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's - John Elder Robison For me, this book was much better than The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband. Where I found Best Practices to be whiny collection of get-out-of-jail-free ramblings, this book gave me a better idea of what Asperger's is like. Where Best Practice's author David Finch talks about how he ignores his family's laundry and only cares about his own, Robinson talks about the Aspergian quirk of renaming people and objects (I laughed out loud at what he called his parents).

This book rambled a bit in some areas and I wondered whether it was due to his self-described Aspergian trait of sharp and intense focus, so it got a little slow for me near the middle and end. The final chapter in the book, "My Life as a Train," did nothing for me. I didn't get much from what I assume was supposed to be a sentimental and full-circle chapter; the epilogue did a good job of balancing it out a little.

Altogether, the book sort of starts out with a bit more promise and excitement than is eventually delivered, but it wasn't bad.