wesleylau

wesleylau

A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron Even though I'm a huge dog lover, I wasn't prepared to like this book halfway through. It's charming enough, but for me, it would cross over from cute to corny quite often.

I'm not about the author's intent, but a lot of the events were bittersweet for me, leaning more towards bitter, as I found myself feeling more sad than happy. More often than not, the scenarios reminded me of how many dogs are treated more like possessions than companions or living creatures with (as recent studies have shown) feelings much like children. The descriptions of the life of a working dog following descriptions of carefree puppies were difficult to feel okay about, but captured the loyalty of dogs very well. That, amongst other attempts at capturing what we have grown to assume of dogs' characters and thought processes, was probably the books greatest strength.

In some ways, it's a feel-good book, but I probably wouldn't read another book in this series. I can definitely see how people would really like these books, but this just wasn't for me.