wesleylau

wesleylau

The Interestings: A Novel - Meg Wolitzer Took me so long to get into, roughly 250 pages into a 460-page book, but as soon as I was in tune with the characters, there was so much to take from the book. It's difficult to get into because there isn't an obvious plot line, so much of the book comes across as inconsequential and I think I kept looking for the turning point, which, over 250 pages, was a tiring mission. There were moments, paragraphs, and sentences here and there that were succinctly profound and self-aware, but buried amongst what seemed like an ocean of unnecessary information, they were barely enough to keep my interested; I almost put the book down several times.

I'm glad I stuck it through because the many characters you're introduced to at the beginning and struggle to keep track of (or at least for me, it's always a challenge with many characters and names) become very real people living very real lives, and it's this tone of realness that is, to me, most compelling about the book.

Following a group of teenagers that meet at an arts camp into their adult lives documents so many real thoughts and feelings that I could relate to despite not living their specific lives (like becoming a millionaire and producing TV shows and movies). We see the characters' experiences with aspiration, ambition, envy, friendship, and so many more things as stages of growing up, and at times, it was like reading about myself.